Keep Your Skin Looking Fantastic This Winter With These Tips
Winter weather can be tough on your skin.
Cold temperatures and windy days can leave your skin dry, chapped, and flaky.
With a little help from you and these winter skincare tips, you can keep your skin healthy during these colder months of the year!
- Use a humidifier: Humidifiers will help to keep the air in your home moist and hydrating.
- Lower the thermostat temperature: The dry air from your heating system can also lead to chapped and flaky skin. Lowering the temperature of your home’s thermostat can help prevent this, as it will help your home retain more moisture.
- Take short showers: Don’t stay in the shower too long! While a nice hot bath may feel good on your winter skin, it will actually dry out and damage your face even more. Keep showers short and sweet by using warm water instead of hot water. This way, you won’t risk irritating or drying out your skin.
- Use cleansers that are gentle on your skin: Using gentle skin cleansers will help to ensure that you don’t irritate your skin. While most skincare products today are made with all-natural ingredients, many still contain harsh chemicals and fragrances, which can be irritating or damaging for those who have sensitive skin.
- Apply moisturizer twice daily: Using a moisturizer on your face daily will help to keep it hydrated and healthy. Be sure to apply the moisturizer after you cleanse and tone, but before applying any makeup or facial products, as some ingredients can cause your pores to clog if used over them.
- Use lip balm regularly: Lips can lose moisture and chap easily during the winter months. Be sure to apply a moisturizing lip balm throughout the day, especially after you eat or drink something so that your lips don’t dry out even more. And look for a lip balm with sunscreen, too! It will help to protect your lips from UV rays.
- Use sunscreen daily: Sunscreen is not only important for protecting your skin from sun damage, but it also helps protect your face from windburn, which can be common in colder weather. In order to get the best type of protection from sunscreen, look for one with an SPF 30 rating, as this will help prevent photoaging, wrinkles, and age spots.
- Drink water: Drinking water is essential for your skin as well as the rest of your body. It will not only help to hydrate and moisturize your skin, but it can also prevent dry mouth, which may lead to a sore throat or other problems.
- Get plenty of sleep: Getting enough sleep daily is vital for healthy-looking skin. Aim for eight hours of sleep to help reduce puffiness.
- Don’t forget to moisturize your hands: It’s important that you also moisturize your hands during the winter – especially if you’re not a fan of gloves or mittens. They can quickly become chapped when the temperatures fall.
- Eat foods high in healthy fats and Omega-3 fatty acids: Healthy sources of fat can help your skin stay hydrated during the winter months better than other food – like processed or junk food that may lead to dryness and irritation around facial features. Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids include salmon, trout, tuna, mackerel, and halibut, which can improve the health of your skin cells.
- Seek professional help if necessary: If your skin is still dry, flaky, or itchy after following these winter skincare tips, be sure to go see a dermatologist for their professional opinion. They may recommend specific products that can help you.
Don’t let the winter months wreak havoc on your skin. Use these tips to keep it healthy and happy – even when it’s cold and miserable outside.