What Is Modern Farmhouse Style?
Farmhouse style is a design trend that has been around for many years. Farmhouses are typically designed with rustic, country decor in mind. Recently, this design aesthetic has evolved to become more modern and sophisticated – the key elements of modern farmhouse style. Modern farmhouse decor includes clean lines, natural wood finishes, and an earthy color palette. Let’s look at this style, as well as its key features!
- Modern Farmhouse Style Is All About Simplicity: While traditional country décor is known for its elaborate patterns and designs, modern farmhouse style keeps things simple. The focus of this design aesthetic is on clean lines with an emphasis on natural elements such as wood and stone. This look can be achieved by using furniture made from reclaimed materials or pieces with rustic finishes like weathered gray veneers.
- Modern Farmhouses Are Filled With Natural Light: One of the key elements of modern farmhouse decor is natural light. Large windows allow sunlight to enter a space, making it feel warm and inviting. You can also make a space seem brighter by using lighter colors on walls or adding white trim.
- Modern Farmhouses Use Natural Colors & Textures: When it comes to farmhouse-style decorating, the main things you’ll want to focus on are natural colors and textures. Try using light neutral tones – instead of dark or bold colors – as these will help a space feel airy and open rather than heavy or closed in. These lighter shades can be paired with darker accent pieces for contrast.
- Another element of modern farmhouse style is the use of natural materials and textures. Natural woods like weathered gray ash veneer, repurposed metal finishes, rustic stone, and raw textiles are all common elements in this design aesthetic.
- Modern Farmhouse Style Is All About The Mix: One of the most crucial elements of modern farmhouse style is its ability to mix and match a variety of different finishes, styles, textures…even color schemes. This look can be achieved by pairing rustic materials with modern furnishings or going for contrasting dark and light. A popular example of this blend in action would be mixing hardwood floors with furniture upholstered in textured fabrics like linen, velvet, or suede.
Of course, if you’re wondering how to bring the modern farmhouse style to your apartment, here are a few ways to do just that:
- Focus on your color palette by going for neutrals with the occasional contrasting piece. Think about white, beige, blush pink, ivory, gray, sage green, pale blue, or butter yellow.
- Take a look at your furniture. Most modern farmhouse furniture is clean and simple – not ornate. Look for understated pieces – and don’t go for “matchy-matchy.” Mixing and matching are perfectly acceptable with this design style. (And shopping at thrift stores and consignment shops is a great place to look for pieces and not break the budget.)
- Choose fabrics wisely by looking for natural fabrics. Cottons and linens are great choices, as is leather.
- Incorporate reclaimed wood where possible. A coffee table, end tables, or bookcase are perfect for this.
- Let in as much natural light as possible. Open those shades and remove heavy curtains that could be blocking sunlight from entering your apartment.
- Use your decorations to bring it all together. Plants, candles, throw rugs, pillows, and blankets all play an important role in the final design of your space.
If you love modern farmhouse style, you’re not alone – and you don’t have to own a farm to bring this design style to your home. There are lots of different ways to bring the various elements to your apartment – and you’re going to love it.