McMillion$: Have you ever played the McDonald’s Monopoly game? Then you need to watch this documentary that looks at the game and scam that plagued it during the 1990s.
- The HBO summary says:
- A six-part documentary series from Executive Producer Mark Wahlberg, McMillion$ chronicles the stranger-than-fiction true story of how $24 million dollars was stolen from the McDonald’s Monopoly game of the 1990s, the mystery mastermind behind the scam and the intrepid FBI agents on his trail.
- For over a decade, McDonald’s fast-food empire awarded prizes in its Monopoly promotional game tie-in, unaware that the biggest winning tickets were being stolen and sold to undeserving winners through a complex web of family and friends who became co-conspirators. An anonymous tip to the FBI in 2001 triggers a far-reaching chain of events that will come to include dogged and unorthodox investigative work, undercover sting operations and dirty dealings by shifty ex-cons with ties to the mafia.
- The series unravels the twisted threads of the fast-food fraud through exclusive firsthand accounts and archival footage featuring the FBI agents who brought down the gaming scam, McDonald’s corporate executives who were themselves defrauded, the lawyers who tried the case and the culprits and prizewinners who profited from the complicated scheme, as well as individuals who were often unwittingly duped into being a part of the ruse.
Cursed Films: This documentary takes a look at five different movies and the problems they faced.
- The Shudder summary describes it as:
- Cursed Films is a five-part documentary series, which explores the myths and legends behind some of Hollywood’s notoriously “cursed” horror film productions. From plane accidents and bombings during the making of The Omen, to the rumored use of human skeletons on the set of Poltergeist, these stories are legendary amongst film fans and filmmakers alike. But where does the truth lie?
Night On Earth: Animal lovers will want to watch this Netflix documentary.
- One summary of the film says:
- Night on Earth is a British nature documentary series made for Netflix. The series is narrated by Samira Wiley and produced by Plimsoll Productions. The series follows animals that are active during the night using state of the art, low-light camera technology.
The Truffle Hunters: Couldn’t we all use a little feel-good movie in our lives? Then this documentary is it!
- Sony Pictures says:
- The Truffle Hunters follows a handful of men, seventy to eighty years young, in Piedmont, Italy, on the search for the elusive Alba truffle. They’re guided by a secret culture passed down through generations, as well as by the noses of their cherished and expertly trained dogs. The documentary subtly explores the devastating effects of climate change and deforestation on an age-old tradition through a visually stunning narrative that celebrates life and exalts the human spirit.
The Vow: This documentary has been popular lately as various group members were recently sentenced after their trials.
- HBO says:
- From Academy Award-nominated and Emmy-winning directors Jehane Noujaim and Karim Amer (The Great Hack, The Square, Control Room) comes The Vow, a documentary series following a number of people deeply involved in the self-improvement group NXIVM over the course of several years.
- The series takes a deep, nuanced look at the organization faced with various charges, including sex trafficking and racketeering conspiracy, against its highest members – most notably founder Keith Raniere, who was convicted in June 2019 and is currently awaiting sentencing.
- Amidst claims by NXIVM participants of both profound transformation and devastating abuse, the series, like Noujaim and Amer’s previous films, seeks to reveal the issues behind the headlines and explore the emotional toll of unfolding events on these individuals.
Documentaries may not get all of the credit of a big box film, but they are definitely interesting and entertaining. Give one of these a watch or share your recommendation for a great documentary you’ve watched recently.