10 Books to Help Your Career
When it comes to your career, is it all you hoped it would be? Do you want to advance into a different position? Do you want to make a career change? Do you wish you could more effectively balance work with your responsibilities at home?
If you answered, “Yes,” to any of these questions, you might be seeking out ways to make things happen when it comes to your job. Lucky for you, there are tons of great books out there that can help with your career and the challenges you face. Here are a few that you might want to read.
- Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder: Arianne Huffington is the co-founder and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post, and in this book, she explores the importance of well-being when it comes to being successful. She shares personal stories about how her own well-being suffered and then recovered when she started taking care of herself and this area of her life.
- Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges: If you always want to present yourself in the best possible manner – even in the toughest of situations – then this book is for you. You’ll learn how to use your body language, mannerisms, behaviors, and your mindset to help you present yourself in a positive and genuine way.
- The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines Into Massive Success and Happiness: What if your daily choices could make a significant impact on your success and happiness? Jeff Olson shows you how to use the tools you already have in your arsenal to bring powerful changes to your life.
- Luck Is No Accident: Making the Most of Happenstance in Your Life and Career: This book is all about making the most of what life has to offer you – and taking advantage of the chance encounters to see where they might lead you.
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us: Do you know what drives you when it comes to your career? While you may think it’s money, or your boss may think it’s money, that’s most often not the case. This book explores what things are the real drivers for high-performers and those who love their work.
- What Color Is Your Parachute? 2020: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers: Are you thinking about making a job change or currently in the process of finding a job? Then you’ll appreciate all of the practical advice in this book as you work to find a career you love.
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love: What if “follow your passion” is not always the best advice for finding a job you love? Author Cal Newport shares how you can really find a job you love and that a preexisting passion may have nothing to do with it.
- The Start-up of You: Adapt to Your Future, Invest in Yourself, and Advance Your Career: Silicon Valley is home to innovative and successful entrepreneurs, and in this book, they share tips and tricks about “investing in yourself.”
- The Third Door: The Wild Quest to Uncover How the World’s Most Successful People Launched Their Careers: This is another great book that interviews people who are at the top of their career and how they all took the “third door” – a more unconventional way to get where they’re at.
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It: Life is full of negotiations, and this book shares nine principles that will make you skilled and confident when you need to negotiate anything from a new car to a higher salary.
No matter where you are in your career, there are some interesting reads on this list. You’re bound to learn something new that can be helpful with your current job, a new job, or even in your everyday life.