Tips to Keep Mosquitoes Away
Summertime is a great time for barbecues and outdoor activities, but it can also be a time when you have to worry about pesky mosquitoes. These little insects can ruin a good time by biting you and making you itchy-scratchy or giving you a nasty rash. But there are ways to keep them at bay! Let’s look at the best ways to keep mosquitoes away so that you can enjoy your summer without having to worry about them!
- Avoid standing water: One of the best ways to keep mosquitoes away is to make sure that there is no standing water around your home. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in water, so if you have any stagnant water on your balcony, it will attract them. Be sure to empty out any flowerpots or dishes that may be holding water.
- Use insect repellent: Another way to keep mosquitoes away is to use mosquito repellent when you are outdoors. There are many different types of mosquito repellents available on the market, so be sure to read the labels carefully before purchasing one. Some repellents contain DEET, which is effective at keeping mosquitoes away but can be harmful to your skin, so be sure to follow the directions on the label carefully.
- Avoid being outside at certain times: Did you know there are certain times of day when mosquitoes are more active? Mosquitoes are most active during dawn and dusk, so if you can, stay indoors during these times. If you must be outside, protect yourself to avoid being bit.
- Certain plants can help: In addition to the above-mentioned tips, another great way to keep mosquitoes at bay is by planting certain plants. Some plants, such as lemongrass, lavender, peppermint, sage, and marigolds, release oils that repel mosquitoes. So, if you are looking for a natural way to keep these pests away, consider planting some of these mosquito-repelling plants around your home. A few pots placed strategically around your balcony can help significantly.
- Grab some candles: Citronella candles are another great way to keep mosquitoes away from you. These candles contain oils that repel mosquitoes, so be sure to light one when you are outside. If you are having a party or barbecue, citronella candles are a great way to keep your guests bite-free!
- Wear light colors: Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, so by wearing light-colored clothing, you can make it less likely that they will bite you. (Plus, lighter colors will keep you cooler in the summer – so it’s a win-win!)
- Wear clothing that covers your skin: Yes, it’s summer, and it’s hot, but if you’re heading out for a hike or someplace known for mosquitoes, you will want to cover up. By wearing long sleeves and long pants, you can make it less likely that they will bite you.
- Keep your windows closed: Let the air conditioning do its job, and keep your windows closed to avoid having mosquitoes in your home. (Is there anything more annoying than a mosquito in the room when you’re trying to fall asleep?)
The best way to prevent mosquito bites is to take some basic precautions, and these are just a few of the many ways that you can keep mosquitoes away this summer. Be sure to try out a few of these methods so that you can enjoy your time outdoors without having to worry about them. By following these tips, you can make it less likely that mosquitoes will ruin your summer fun!