Memorial Day BBQ Favorites
It won’t be long now before it’s time to start planning those Memorial Day barbecues! After all, Memorial Day is the unofficial kickoff to summer – and a barbecue is the perfect way to get the season started. And no matter if you’re hosting the bbq this year or attending one with friends or family, then you’ll want some great recipes. After all, the food should be the star of the show! Check out these recipes and consider making one (or two) for your Memorial Day get-together.
- Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese: Who doesn’t love rich and creamy mac and cheese? With numerous cheeses and loads of flavor – it’s a favorite with just about everyone! This recipe takes it a step further and kicks it up a notch by adding bacon and chopped jalapenos! Yum!
- Grilled Chicken Wings with Seasoned Buffalo Sauce: No fryer is needed when you try this wing recipe! They’ll soak up all that delicious flavor that grilling gives foods, and then you’ll toss them in a Buffalo sauce to finish them off. Grab the carrots and celery and some blue cheese or ranch dressing, and everyone will be smiling!
- Vinegar-Based Coleslaw: If you’re not a fan of mayo-based coleslaw, then check this out! It uses vinegar as the base – which makes it really tangy! Lots of vegetables make it super healthy, and it’s a great accompaniment to pulled pork or barbecue ribs. (And while you are probably not having fish tacos for Memorial Day – it’s excellent for those, too!)
- Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad with Cucumbers and Olives: Have you seen that pasta that looks like small grains of rice? That’s orzo – and it’s delicious! This salad uses orzo as its pasta (although you could easily sub in whatever you have on hand) and then adds cucumbers, olives, artichokes, tomatoes, and fresh herbs – which really brighten it up! And yes, you’ll make your own vinaigrette to dress it with! So good!
- Classic Potato Salad: If your friends and family are fond of the classics, then this Classic Potato Salad will not disappoint. It’s full of the quintessential potato salad ingredients that people love and has a delicious dressing. Be sure to use Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe – as they’re not as starchy and better suited for this cold salad than russet potatoes.
- Calico Beans: This is a hearty side dish that will go with just about any protein you’re serving on Memorial Day! And it’s super easy to make! Everyone will want this recipe!
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip: If you need an appetizer or snack while the main course is being prepared, this one is always popular! The seven layers are refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, tomatoes, sliced black olives, and green onions – and you can serve it with your favorite tortilla chips or Fritos.
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies: Chocolate chip cookies are always popular – especially if you’ve got kids attending the get-together. This recipe by Alton Brown is fantastic! His recipe calls for bread flour – which provides the chewiness – and more brown sugar than a traditional chocolate chip recipe. Give it a try!
- Blueberry Yogurt Swirl Popsicles: If it looks like it’s going to be warm on Memorial Day, consider making some homemade popsicles to cool everyone off. These Blueberry Yogurt Swirl Popsicles are so refreshing – and with just three ingredients, they can’t get any easier to make. (This is a great project to get the kids involved in!)
Memorial Day will be here before you know it – so start planning that barbecue now! Gather your friends and family together and cook up some great dishes for everyone to enjoy with these recipes.