How to Advance Your Career
You like your job, but maybe you’re looking for something a bit more challenging or that pays better. If that’s the case, you may be looking to advance your career or obtain a promotion.
And, of course, the workplace is constantly changing. In order to keep up with these changes, you need to be proactive in your career development. But what exactly does that mean?
There are definitely some key ways you can advance your career and stay relevant in today’s competitive marketplace.
- Know your company’s goals and build a career path that aligns with them.
- Knowing the direction your company is heading and working to help them achieve those goals will go a long way.
- Stay connected with the right people who can provide guidance for advancement opportunities as they arise.
- Do you have managers that you know and trust? Then don’t be afraid to let them know that you are interested in advancing your career in the company.
- Serve on committees in which you are interested or have experience so that others see you as a leader.
- When you take an active role in the company, it will help others see the skills you have as well as build connections with others.
- Take on a mentor who has the experience and expertise to guide you when necessary.
- A mentor can provide feedback, offer advice on what skills are needed for advancement opportunities, and keep an eye out for those opportunities that might be of interest to you. You might find a mentor at your current company – or look to someone outside of your company to help.
- Be open to feedback.
- When it’s time for your employee review, be open to receiving feedback – in fact, ask for it if it’s not provided. This will allow your manager to see that you are eager to grow and improve – and open to learning.
- Volunteer to lead a project.
- If others aren’t stepping up to take on projects, then why don’t you? It’s a great way to show your value, and you may get noticed for it – especially if the project is extremely successful.
- Start networking now to create connections with people in your field who can be helpful for the rest of your career.
- Connections are a key factor in career success, and you never know where they might lead. Attend industry events, reach out to people on LinkedIn, or join groups with people who are in your chosen field.
- Look at other companies in your field or industry where you might have skills that would make them want to hire you on board.
- Your company may not be the only game in town – so why not see what’s out there and if they have opportunities available. You might be surprised by what’s available when you go looking.
- Go ahead and take some classes that might aid in advancing your career.
- Management loves to see people take the initiative to better themselves. Check for courses at your local college or university or see what may be available online.
- Keep your resume current.
- You may be wondering how this will help you advance your career, but you never know when an opportunity may arise. When you have an up-to-date resume, you can quickly make a few tweaks and send it off to possible employers immediately.
If you’re ready to advance your career, the time to take action is now. Whether you advance at the company you are currently with or find employment with a new company – these tips are sure to help!