Should You Send Holiday Cards? Yes! And Here’s Why!
It’s that time of year again. The holiday season is in full swing, and many people are still wondering if they should send holiday cards this year. Should you bother to find the perfect card, address them all individually, buy stamps, or just skip it altogether? Please don’t skip it – and here’s why.
- Share some holiday spirit: You may not know this, but studies show that a simple gesture like sending holiday cards can make you happier. It turns out when we give to others, it actually makes us feel better about ourselves – and what’s more thoughtful than a handpicked card for someone special? Even if the person receiving your card doesn’t send one back (although they should!), just knowing you thought of them during such a busy time should brighten their day!
- Let friends and family know you’re thinking of them: If you’re going to be apart from your friends and family this holiday season, a hand-written card is the perfect way to let them know they are on your mind. Even if it’s only for a short time during the holidays, distance can make us feel separated from those who matter most – so don’t hesitate to send some love their way!
- Cards aren’t junk mail: You may be thinking, “I already get too much junk mail – I don’t need any more,” or “My friends and family can find me on Facebook if they really want to know what’s going on.” While you’re right that email and social media are fast, direct, and convenient (not to mention free), one thing it isn’t? Personal. A card from the heart shows how thoughtful you are – and who doesn’t love getting snail mail these days? Going out to the mailbox and receiving something other than a bill or a flyer from the local department store is definitely a pick-me-up during the holiday season.
- Allows you to slow down and enjoy the season: Let’s face it – life gets busy! Between work, kids, errands…who has time for anything anymore?! But sending cards means stopping everything just for a moment before rushing onto the next activity. It allows you to take some time out of your day to think about other people. You might not be able to show up in person, but sending a card means you are still there for someone – and that’s what matters most!
- Share lasting memories: Photo cards are a great way to share what has happened with your family over the past year. Find some different photos and create a great collage that can be turned into a card. You can then personalize the card and share what happened in each photo.
- Sending Holiday Cards Is Easy: You’re a busy person, we get it – but you can also make time for what matters most to you! There are many online services that can create cards for you – and some will even mail them if that’s a service you need. (Just make sure you have an up-to-date address list!)
Of course, sitting down on a cold evening to write out Christmas cards doesn’t take that long either. And you can always enlist the help of your family to get it done faster! (A little hot cocoa and some cookies will make everyone want to be involved.)
This year, don’t skip the Christmas cards! Send them out so that others can see how much you care.