Homemade Quick Breads You’ll Want to Bake
Does the thought of making bread at home seem a little intimidating? Yeast, rising, kneading, resting, starter, and other things related to making bread are definitely part of the bread-making process. But there are simpler breads you can make at home. Quick breads are the perfect starting point if you want to try your hand at making bread at home.
What are quick breads?
Baker Bettie defines quick breads as: bread type products that are leavened with baking powder and baking soda instead of yeast. Quick breads include muffins, biscuits, scones, cornbread, and quick loaf breads like banana bread and zucchini bread.
Because they use baking powder and baking soda to make your bread “rise” – they are infinitely easier than using yeast (which can be a bit finicky if you’re not used to working with it). And they usually come together quickly – which means you can be enjoying them sooner rather than later.
Here are some great quick bread recipes you can try!
- Best Banana Bread Recipe: Banana bread may be the most well-known quick bread out there – and this recipe is fantastic! If you have a few overripe bananas just hanging out, this is the best way to use them up. Banana bread makes for a great breakfast or after school snack.
- Sour Cream and Onion Biscuits: As Baker Bettie said, biscuits are a type of quick bread, and this recipe takes biscuits to the next level! They are tangy and would go great with just about any dinner you put on the table.
- The Best Zucchini Bread: Zucchini Bread is yummy! And if you haven’t given it a try – you should! You won’t even know it’s zucchini! This recipe has lots of spices and chocolate chips – and can be baked as bread or as muffins! (The muffins are perfect for grab-and-go breakfasts.)
- Fluffy Golden Skillet Cornbread: Cornbread is another quick bread, and this one is light and fluffy. It would make an excellent accompaniment to a hearty stew or chili on a cold night. And it’s ready in about 30 minutes! That’s definitely quick!
- Citrus Loaf: If you love the bright flavors of citrus fruits, you are going to go crazy for this Citrus Loaf. If bread can be refreshing – then this one is!
- Pumpkin Bread: Pumpkin bread is another classic quick bread. This one has all of the flavors you love, and when you serve it warm with a pat of butter – there may be nothing better!
- Sausage and Cheese Bread: Looking for a savory quick bread that can go with your dinner tonight? Then this is a good one! It’s also a good one to serve with a fried egg for breakfast. Don’t you just love a two-for-one deal?
- Savory Onion Bread: Here’s another simple savory quick bread that would go great with soup and salad!
- Country Cinnamon Swirl Bread: This Country Cinnamon Swirl Bread is like a scrumptious coffee cake but in bread form. When you make this recipe, your place is going to smell amazing – and you may even have some neighbors knocking on your door.
- Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread: It doesn’t need to be St. Patrick’s Day to make this recipe for Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread. You’ll love the crust that this bread forms while baking! Yum!
- Cranberry Orange Nut Bread: This is a great quick bread for the holidays! It develops some great flavors from the orange zest and cranberries – and makes for an excellent gift for family or friends.
If you’re ready to give bread making a try, start with quick breads. You’ll love these recipes because they are easy to make – and extremely flavorful!